Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blood and Oil


Today, I watched the documentary “Blood and Oil,” and found it to be very educating. To be completely honest before watching this, I never knew how, why, or when we started using oil from the Middle East. This film made some points, which totally shocked me, like in part 2 of the film. It was explaining how much of an effort the U.S. put into creating a very elaborate military establishment in Saudi Arabia, pervading them, with some of the best arms and military training. I know this was only done so they could help protect this oil, that is valued as gold, but still I felt this was putting, maybe a little too much trust in the Middle East at the time. I know the United States did whatever they could to stay on good terms with Saudi, so we would continue to use their oil. But when does it start to be too much? I mean at one point we were even fighting there wars for them? I found the end of the documentary to be very interesting, as it talked about how China and Russia, are preparing to fight for control over the oil in the Middle East, as are the United States. It’s scary to think about what could happen next! The last thing we need is another war.
After seeing this documentary, I can only pray that we find some kind of alternative for oil and if not find some way to decreasing the amount we use every day.

3 comments:

  1. Like you said, hopefully we can find new energy sources because I feel like if we rely on the Middle East much more our strength might weaken and we might make more enemies for ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something that i got from the video was that i can not believe that we new that Saudi Arabia was a monarchy but we still made a deal with bc of us wanting oil. i know that oil is a necessity but it seems that we always get what we want no matter the circumstances. i dont know its just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice you wrote this at 2:22 am. You are a hard working student!

    ReplyDelete