Monday, September 14, 2009

Literature from the Modern Middle East: Making a Living Connection



A few days ago I was asked to read Dr. Webb’s article titled “Literature from the Modern Middle East: Making a Living Connection”, and boy was it an eye opener. In this article Webb points out how deeply involved our country is with the Middle East but how little we American’s know about their culture. I couldn’t agree with him more. All I know about the Middle East is what I see on TV and read in the paper, and that’s only about the war. I have never had a teacher who would go into great detail about the people that live there. Dr. Webb stresses this subject to students so they can replace stereotypes, transform world views, develop personal connect, humanize Islam and Muslim people and learn about Arabs, Turks, Kurds, Persians and Pushtans. If you are a teacher or are going to be, this is a great article to read. Dr. Webb gives examples of different films and texts, you may use to further your knowledge in the subject. Over all… great article, it is one that I believe everyone should read once.

No comments:

Post a Comment